Saturday, December 22, 2012

12 Blogs of Christmas: Part 9 "Keep It Real... Unbelievable"


What a cute night for Jesus!
I watched The Nativity a few weeks ago and it was a pretty well done movie. The makers of this film did a nice job of bringing a reality to this story that Christians have come to know so well. Sometimes I think the stories of the Bible can seem so fantastic and distant that we forget these were human beings facing very real problems (i.e. "Somebody help me deliver this baby!!!).

So although I appreciate the level of realism that this movie had to offer, I was greatly disappointed by what was lacking in one scene in particular. Near the end, an angel appears to the shepherds and tells them of Jesus' birth. Then the shepherds go find Jesus lying in a manger.

I know what your thinking, "Greg! That's exactly what happens in the Luke narrative." I know. I know. The problem is that they left out a big part.

"Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests,'" (Luke 2: 13-14).

Where was the great company? Where were the praises?
Less of this...
... more of this.


I am all for us taking time to consider the everyday and realistic nature of what happened on the day the Jesus was born, but come on! You gotta go big on this scene. I need the skies ripping open to set the stage for a multitude of heavenly hosts to start belting their praises to God. I need major special effects and CGI. I need THX and earth shaking sound systems. Mostly, I need to remember that this story of God coming to earth is both very real and completely spectacular... very familiar and completely holy... very human and completely divine.


"For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace," (Isaiah 9:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment