Monday, December 24, 2012

The 12 Blogs of Christmas: Part 10 "It's Never Too Late"



The Christmas Eve 11 pm church service is one of my favorites of the entire year. There is this odd magic and peacefulness to the whole experience. Growing up in Iowa, my family had its routine. Most of Christmas Eve day was filled with either getting last minute stuff taken care of or sitting around watching movies. Once evening came, we would head over to a family friend's house for their annual Christmas party. This was one of those adult parties where the cookies are a bit too dry, the punch is good but not great, and everyone is spreading a substance on crackers that look to have no business being on a food table. The people were nice enough, but this was no place for a young boy. I felt out of place and awkward.

Then my whole family would pile into the jeep and head to the church. On the way, my sister would be attempting to convince my folks to either skip church or at least turn off the Manheim Steamroller. (You know it's true, Leslie.) Meanwhile, my dad's eyes were already noticeably getting heavier and prepped for his long winter's nap. I on the other hand welcomed this late night service with open arms for a few reasons. First, it was a respite from the cheese log adult fest. Second, I was guaranteed to play with fire (love those tiny white candles). Finally, I just flat out liked it.

The church would be warmly lit, while outside the snow glowed with moonbeams. The air was crisp and cold. We sang songs that I knew and that even had a minor key. (Who doesn't love some O Come O Come Emmanuel?)

My favorite part, however, was walking out into the cold, still winter night after having just sang Silent Night. Even as a kid, I could feel the magnitude of this moment. I knew that this was no time to be loud or annoying. I understood that this was a time to sit still and wonder. Somehow, despite the anticipation of gifts and the normal chaos of the holiday season, a peace could be found, a stillness was available and a silent night could be possible.

I think it was in this moment that I would be reminded what the whole Christmas season was about. That in the midst of all the chaos and all the hardship and all the pain a peace can be born and was born that would transcend any power or being that would try to crush it.

So, it is my hope that you are able to attend such a service. It is my hope that you would have such a moment. It is my hope that this birth we celebrate tonight, would bring about a rebirth in you and that you would find peace on this silent night.

No comments:

Post a Comment