Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The 12 Blogs of Christmas: Part 12 "Completion"

12 Drummers Drumming!

Here it is. The final chapter to this epic challenge that I dubbed "The 12 Blogs of Christmas." Yes, it's true that I may be writing this final entry while riding on the plane from Des Moines to Los Angeles and that I am writing a Christmas blog entry on the first day of January, but who cares! I'm finishing... right?
"You are late, Mister!"
With all the being said, it only seemed right to have this 12th Yule tide entry be on the theme of completion. For example, me flying home from Iowa with my lovely wife is truly the end of the Christmas season for us. When we get home, no more Christmas music will be played and all the decorations will have to be put away. The movies have all been watched, the gifts unwrapped and the parties are now behind us.

In a very real sense, there is a sadness that comes with completion. Despite your thoughts on the holiday season, there does usually seem to be an overarching sense of good cheer, but now... sadly... Christmas is over. In a strange way, it is probably good that we feel sad. It means that the time and season actually meant something.
"Please don't let it be over!"
So if you're feeling low these next few weeks, it is totally understandable. But here is the other angle I want to take on this idea of completion.

A few weeks back I resolved to write 12 blogs about my experiences with Christmas, which resulted in the blowing up of many email inboxes across the country. (oops...) If I had ended up doing just 3 or 5, the truth is most of you would have moved on with your lives and not paid much notice. But something would have changed. My credibility would have taken a hit. Again, this is only a blog that has very small consequence to you and your community, but not finishing all 12 blogs would have said something about me.

I was recently talking to a good friend of mine. In a moment of powerful honesty, he admitted to me that he knew why he has struggled in certain leadership roles. He realized that others are cautious of following him because he has a track record of starting things and not following through. People want to follow someone they can trust. Since he had this realization, he has taken several steps to change about himself. These steps range from consistent workouts and healthy diet to writing projects and the completion of his bachelor's degree. Now a year later, he is fit, healthy and setting a track record that demands attention.

I was taken aback by my friend's humble and candid statement. Not because this is a brand new and original idea, but because of how close it hits to home... for many of us. It is that time of year when several of you will be considering New Year's resolutions. I happen to be the king of good "ideas" and new projects that have a shelf life of about 2 weeks to a month. Each time I fail, I end up feeling bad for myself and gain another reason to not believe in my own resolve or power of will.

So this is what I suggest and what I think I might try...

1.) I need to understand that there is power in completion. Knowing that this blog is almost at a close is already filling me with confidence for other writing projects and goals that I might have in the future. I need to capitalize on these small victories and keep moving forward


2.) I need to be wise. My goals or resolution need to be something that is possible right now! (Don't say you'll run every day if you don't even own a pair of running shoes.)
"Yeah! Get wise, you punk." 
3.) I need to actually do what I set have about to do. Finish! Even if it is not all like you thought it would be. FINISH!!! I just wonder how different our lives might be if our "Yes" truly meant yes and our "No" truly meant no.
... on second thought...
That's what I'm going to try. Maybe you can join me? Keep in mind, there is grace in all of this and failure can often be one of our best teachers, but think of the impact you might have as you continue to prove to yourself and to your community that your word can be trusted and that your resolve is sound.

Merry Christmas, everybody! Here's to a year of completion.
"We'll drink to that! How 'bout we complete this beer? Heyo!"

3 comments:

  1. Well played, my friend. Well played.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, my friend! I'm encouraged to run the race all the way. And I got a pair of running shoes! Well, they're sneakers at least!! Lol!! Thanks buddy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew. I'm glad 12 blogs is complete... I'm completed!! :-)

    ReplyDelete