Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Let's Make It Hobbitual

Stuntin' is a hobbit.

By now, many of you have hopefully found your way to the movie theatre, spent far too much money on soda and milk duds, and let yourself enjoy the latest Peter Jackson offering known as "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey."

As for my quick review, I thought it was good. It was more lighthearted than The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and had some "cartoonish" moments that definitely hold true to the fun nature of the original Tolkien masterpiece. Obviously, there is the whole "frame rate" debate, but I simply enjoyed the story, which I feel was enhanced with the addition of story points from other writings of Tolkien.
What is frame rate, precious?
I say all this to say that I decided to be one of those pretentious and self-righteous folk in preparing for this movie. You know! The kind who feel the burden to read the book before the movie so that we can say things like, "Yeah, well... the book was better." It is a problem and I know it, but there are definite perks to doing this. First, often the book actually is better. Sorry! Had to say it. Second, you get to pick out little gems of dialogue like the one I am about to share with you.
Books give me the power to condescend!
This quotation takes place at the end of the epic tale (which means it might show up in part 2 or 3 of the movies), so I'll not divulge too much detail.

Think about this line, "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." To which I raise my coldest and largest glass of ale and bellow forth a resounding, "AMEN!"

Let's spend some time on these valued elements. Not that Mr. Tolkien would have ever wanted us to proof text and dissect his passage like this, but I guess if we feel the freedom to do it to scripture, why not to good ol' J.R.R.?
Is this food? 
1. Food - Food has many interesting qualities. It is a necessity for life. It is enjoyable (i.e. it tastes good... most of the time.) It can be comforting. It is cultural and diverse. It is wrapped up in tradition. It is highly emotional. I am probably just at the tip of the iceberg, but already it is plain to see that food is complex.

Truly valuing food would most likely lead to some interesting conclusions. For one, the concept of "fast" food would be gone, because when you value something, you take your time with it. Dinner tables would no longer serve as decorations and televisions would no longer set the soundtrack and conversations of the meal. I could probably rant for a while (mostly at myself), but to me there seems to be something intrinsically good and right about valuing food. It is not to be gorged, wasted or feared. It is to be loved and valued like the gift that it is.
Picture taken from the National "Pride for your Pits" Day Festival
2. Cheer - By cheer, I don't think Tolkien means skirts and pompoms. I believe he is tapping into the idea of mirth, lightheartedness, laughter, and joy. That same sense that often comes with the whole Christmas season. It is that deep internal sense that there is good in this world and that no darkness can permanently overshadow the light.
I'm singing... in an office... and... 
3. Song - When was the last time you sang? I mean really sang? Not the tempered voicing we do on Sunday mornings or the light, subtle harmonies to the songs on our car radio. I am talking about the eye-squinting, diaphragm-pushing, gut-busting singing that cuts through thin walls of plaster and causes the thumping of broomsticks from the apartment below. Now. When was the last time you sang like that with a group of people?

To value song is to know freedom in a truly physical and emotional way that connects us with our community. Soccer hooligans get it. Irish pubs get it. Occasionally the church gets it. We need to get it.

So, what do you value? Do you think Tolkien is right? Would you add to the list? Subtract? How is that we might start making this world a bit merrier?
How 'bout we add beer to that list? Heyo!

3 comments:

  1. Start by coming to "family dinner night" on Feb 2nd!!! =D So I can see all the wonderful people I miss and enjoy some amazing food with ya'all!! And enjoy a little cheer and ...group singing.. ? maybe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over 40 people crammed into our living room monday night for potluck first and bread and cup later - there is indeed something almost mystical about sharing a meal. Thanks for the great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try this again - don't try to post from your cell phone...
    I did have a mild panic attack when the elves raided Bilbo's pantry, threw out the blue cheese and started juggling with his dishes! But I do enjoy sharing my home and home cooked meals with family and friends. Everyone brings something to share - and is always way better than take out! Sometimes we never know what we're going to eat, but we know it's going to be good. We always play some sort of super competitive game, sometimes singing is involved - "Cranium" anybody? And usually end up having mild discussions about religion and politics. Despite the strong, opinionated personalities that make up our eclectic group, we can always count on good food and having fun together.

    ReplyDelete