Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The 12 Blogs of Christmas: Part 6 "Albums I Have Heard On High"

Thank God for D-batteries

I'll admit it. Once Thanksgiving is done and Black Friday is upon us, I am pumping the Christmas jams like a berry farmer in December. I unashamedly own over 30 different Christmas albums and EPs. Thus, it only seemed appropriate to share with you five of my favorite albums early enough before Christmas that you too can buy them and enjoy them as December 25th approaches.

5. O Holy Night Tour - Live: The Prison Show by Sara Groves

Sara Groves is amazing and this album is no exception. Not all the songs on this album are Christmas songs, but the sing-along with a bunch of convicts at the end just gets me when I stop to think about

4. Christmas with the Rat Pack by Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin/Sammy Davis Jr.

Just classy. I mean some "put on your nice shoes and fill a glass with scotch" kind of classy.

3. Harry for the Holidays by Harry Connick, Jr.

Harry is a stud. He puts a jazzy, southern twist on these old standards that makes me want dance and eat some gumbo with a Santa hat firmly on my head.

2. Christmas...From the Realms of Glory by Bebo Norman

I hadn't purchased a Bebo Norman album in years. I was kind of over the whole Christian music scene, but I decided to give this album a shot and I am glad that I did. His mix of originals and remakes are sure to get you in the mood for both church and Christmas trees. Well done, Bebo. Well done.

1. Behold the Lamb of God by Andrew Peterson

For the last few years, this has been my favorite Christmas album. I make a point of listening through the whole thing at least once during the Advent season. Through song, this album walks you from Exodus to the birth of Christ in an amazingly thorough and beautiful way. This album is not just Andrew Peterson, but also includes many of his fellow friends and musicians (i.e. Derek Webb). Please buy this album tonight and remind yourself of the real hope that comes with this holiday season.

Please let me know of any albums I need to get my hands on.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see Behold the Lamb of God as your #1...mine too, hands down!

    They come to our church in Charlotte every year,so Andrew Peterson and the gang were here last week and I got to take Brad for his first Behold the Lamb of God concert experience...he was pretty speechless afterward. What a powerful story our Saviour has!

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year, I was re-introduced to Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas album from 1994. There's a good variety of Gospel selections that my church choir sang recently. I heard some things this time that I didn't hear initially. I'm in awe, particularly, of the arrangement of "O Holy Night". They 'was havin chuch!!' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a top 5 album, but I was looking for mention of Happy Christmas Vol 2. Only for The Normals singing 'THe Peace Child'. Damn, that;s good.

    ReplyDelete