Sunday, December 16, 2012

The 12 Blogs of Christmas: Part 4 "A Merry Movie List"



I think you'll all agree with me that one of the most important aspects of Christmas in our modern day and age is the movies. So rather than try to make some deep philosophical point or comical anecdote, I'd much rather give you my top ten holiday classics.

10. Scrooged - Bill Murray being haunted by Christmas ghosts? Fantastic idea! This modern (as modern as the 80's can get) retelling of the holiday classic is hilarious. Watching the ghost of Christmas Present (Carol Kane) beat the piss out of the cold-hearted Frank Cross (Bill Murray) is a must see. Plus, it ends with a sing-along.

9. A Charlie Brown Christmas - Good grief, everybody. How could I not pick this one? Charlie Brown is one of the most depressed and negative characters ever. He's the kind of guy that will tell you about the calories and carcinogens that are in the cake that you just ate. He is a total Debbie-Downer and it is hilarious! It has a great ending too.

8. Home Alone 2 - That's right! A sequel made the list, which sadly means you can already guess that the original will be as well, but stop being so smart and keep reading. Never before has there been a more perfect and inspiring union on film than the scene where Marv's face meets Kevin's bricks. Seriously, somebody call Child and Safety Services. These parents are unfit!

7. A Christmas Story - This one is good. I think it's Italian. (If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.) This movie completely captures the small-town-Midwest Christmas scene and the dynamic of family. So good!

6. Home Alone - Listen up, you filthy animals! If you haven't seen this one in a while, do yourself a favor and rent it today before I pump your guts full of lead. 1... 2... TEN!!! Plus, did anyone else ever secretly hope that one day the pigeon lady and the shoveling old man would hook up? Just asking.

5. The Santa Clause - Tim Allen nailed it with this one. I loved it as a kid, but now I realize that many of the jokes flew over my head. It may have horrible special effects (I mean, the flying sleigh and reindeer look really bad), but I love it. I think I might love anything involving Judge Reinhold.

4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Honestly, the top 4 movies on this list are pretty interchangeable. They are all excellent. The Griswold family won me over with this classic a long time ago when it was played on network television. Several years later, I saw the unedited version. Guess what!? Swearing makes it even funnier. Hooray for the "shitter" being full!

3. Dr. Suess's How the Grinch Stole Christmas - I was completely surprised by this movie. I was kind of done with the overacting ways of Jim Carrey and had no interest in seeing another Christmas kids movie. Then I saw it... I was so wrong. I laughed. I cried. I started looking for snowflake properties. Please see this movie if you haven't.

2. Elf - Who doesn't love this movie? If you don't than I'm assuming you also hate Christmas and love going to the dentist. This one also makes me cry when everybody sings.

And finally, (drum roll...)

1. It's a Wonderful Life - The big winner! Jimmy Stewart could read a phone book and I would be entertained. I can understand why people might say this movie is boring and too long, but these people make me sad and pray for education reform. Definitely a tearjerker and it also has an amazing portrait at the end of how the Kingdom of God ought work.

That's the list. Feel free to agree, disagree, or add your nominations. 

4 comments:

  1. Thumbs up to the top ten, but where is White Christmas?!!! I'd be okay with it being #11, I guess. Anyone? emilie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jarvis Jernigan, Jr.December 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

    Home Alone, the sequel, is my favorite but what about The Family Man? It's got Christmas references in it! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Family Man is definitely a good one, but the ending was so incredibly unsatisfying that I couldn't put it on the top 10.

      Delete
  3. My personal favorite - The Muppet Christmas Carol. So fun. :D

    ReplyDelete