Thursday, December 13, 2012

The 12 Blogs of Christmas: Part 2 "You Better Believe It!"

"He's coming to your neighborhood!"

The holiday season always reminds me of that interesting matter called, "belief." When I was a kid, I believed that, once a year, a jolly, bearded, magical man from somewhere up north who was constantly taking note of my behavior would find his way through our heating vents (we didn't have a fireplace) and deliver a good measure of toys and gifts as a return for my conscientious living. I knew these gifts were from Santa because they said my name really big on the wrapping paper as opposed to the gifts from my parents, which came with gift tags. Sure! I couldn't explain how he might get around to every home in the world, but I continued to believe all the same.
"Yay! We love Santa!"
Now, I'm 30 years old, married, and live in an apartment. An extremely well lit and decorated apartment, I might add, thanks to the good people at the Christmas section of Target. It was with this wife and in this apartment that I had explained to me the concept that Christmas presents from Santa are the ones that are unwrapped under the tree. To this I responded, in all the maturity my 30 years could offer me, with "That's stupid! He writes you name really big on a wrapped package!"

As you can probably guess, this argument could have raged for hours. Maybe you even wish to weigh in with your doctrinal stance on Santa's gifting methods, but isn't it interesting how quickly our belief becomes complicated and loaded. Somehow, my belief in Santa became nuanced and different from my wife's belief in Santa. Now, how did we respond to these differences? ... We argued. I didn't want to have a conversation because I didn't want to allow for the possibility that I was wrong... because I'm not wrong... right?
Santa ain't afraid to throw down.
Belief can be stressful. So much for peace on earth and goodwill to all mankind.

But wait! Hold on a second! That's not the Christmas spirit. It is not our beliefs in Santa that leave presents under our tree; it's Santa who leaves the presents under our tree. We may not be able to understand all his ways and probably never will, but this should not lead to conflict and frustration. There is much good in gaining knowledge and formulating opinions, but if we have lost the wonder, the awe, the magic of Santa and Christmas... well... we might have lost the whole thing.

It reminds me of this wise saying from a very old book. "Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in.” He obviously wasn't talking about Santa... but he was talking about something. Something that kids get and adults forget. Something we old folks make complicated and void of magic. No wonder we can argue about "wrapping paper" vs. "no wrapping paper". There is not enough magic and awe to distract us and make us the kind of people who are infectious with joy and belief.

Maybe it's time we revisit the old stories and ancient songs as we hunker down in front of the tree and get caught up in it. It's time to marvel with goofy grins and starry eyes. Tis the season!
"We've got a little holiday spirits right here. Heyo!"

5 comments:

  1. I never remember believing in Santa, Brad did - thus started a very slightly heated discussion as to whether or not we will tell our children (that we do not have) about Santa Clause....'Tis the Season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a slippery slope down either side of a mountain here. I would love to hear anybody else's thoughts on this...

    If I hold onto my beliefs too tightly and dogmatically, I end up becoming an ass who argues about how Santa's elves wrap gifts (obviously his elves wrap or don't wrap them, you idiots).

    On the other side; however, if I allow awe and magic to direct my belief formation, I will end up becoming a relativistic hippy, swayed to and fro by each new idea (at least this is what my attendance at Biola apologetics events has taught me).

    What does everybody else think about this tension?

    RW



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Ricky. As I posted this article I wondered how many would write this blog off as universalist hogwash. Most of the time, rather than be considered a universalist, people will err on the other side, which leads to the combative lack of conversation situations as described above.

      I honestly think we have to always stay in the tension. Maybe this is part of the hard work of belief. Not that we figure it out, but that we constantly have to ask am I leaning too far this way or that.

      I would seriously love to have more "conversation" on this. What does everyone else think?

      Delete
  3. This is indeed a tough question, and I think Greg is right in saying that place to be is right in the middle of the tension. This is really quite difficult, however, because it is a place that is uncomfortable, and it is a place that can easily invoke emotion.
    My personal struggle in this situation is that I have the hardest time holding on tightly to my beliefs while simultaneously loosening grip on my pride. I find that when the desire to be right supersedes the desire for legitimate discussion feelings end up being hurt or people end up tuning out. It is a delicate balance, and it feels unnatural most of the time.
    I know for me personally I need to get myself out of the spotlight and allow the truth to shine through.

    ReplyDelete