Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Olive Us Need Help!




I start off this article knowing certain things to be true. First, when writing a blog, I have the ability to declare some fairly bombastic ideas and invite you to think similarly, but, at the end of the day, these ideas are just my opinion. You have full permission to dismiss or argue against any and all that I have written or will write in the future. Second, sometimes in these overly confident digital mutterings, I may write something that you disagree with so strongly that you find yourself offended, hurt or even angry. Please trust me when I say, "I mean no harm." I am simply hoping to introduce you to new thoughts and even expand your mind.

That being said... black olives are the most disgusting food on the planet and we should be appalled by the way they can totally hijack a meal and cover over any other flavors that may be struggling to be noticed. (Take that, olive lovers!)

Look! Like little bugs invading your amazing pizza.
Have you ever had a slice of pizza with olives on it? You would know. You would know because you would remember what it is like to see pepperonis, cheese, sausage, bell peppers, and other delicious ingredients on the slice of which you are about to devour only to find your mouth riddled with the flavor of olives.

What happened?! Like a playground bully, the olive went around to every other aspect of the pizza and scared the ingredients into the fetal position. The pepperoni paralyzed with fear. The sausage quietly staring at its shoes. The peppers beat up and shaking in the corner. These olives have claimed their territory and the craziest part is that you cannot just get rid of the olives. The removal may help a little, but the olive juices somehow work their way into every nook and cranny of the slice. The pizza requires a complete renewal.

Stop it, Olives!
So here is my point: Olives are flavor bullies that taint and obscure what could be the makings of something incredible.

On a related note, have you ever met a person who is unwilling to forgive? The person who cannot and will not let go of his or her anger and bitterness? Have you noticed how this tends to have an impact on every other aspect of their life?

Jesus had this crazy idea about forgiveness. He said we ought to forgive, forgive again, and then forgive some more (Matthew 18: 21-35). He said if we are unwilling to forgive, then we will be incapable of understanding and experiencing the forgiveness of God (Matthew 6: 14-15).

Hmmm... (prepare for bombastic claim) I think Jesus hated olives too.

"I love many things, but olives... ehhhh... not so much."
2 Hesitations 2:1

8 comments:

  1. Yeah black olives and black licorice are clearly from the devil. However the green olives are....uuhhh how do you say "bombastic"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like black olives. I do, however, love green olives. I love forgiveness. I do not, however, like to practice it. I need forgiveness. I need to forgive. It's the way. God have mercy on me and help me to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jason. Amen... except for the green olive part, but you'll have to forgive me.

      Delete
  3. "...the diet of Jesus would have included fish, whole wheat bread, olives, figs, dates and red wine" -Don Colbert, MD (author of "What Would Jesus Eat")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute, if God hates olives then why did he create them???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all olives. Black ones or green ones even the generic ones that are even a little orange. I think the real issue here is the cheese. I don't like the phony mozzarella cheese that comes in a bag and it doesn't even melt right to blend the flavors. It just sits there wanting to be on top. Real mozzarella blends all of the flavors together. It doesn't care want other condiment is on top. It's sole purpose is to blend all the ingredients together and make the pizza as a whole taste better. It doesn't just slide off to the side on one piece and say, "look at me! I am the better slice". It accepts it's position as an ingredient that binds the all the ingredients together for the whole pizza. Mozzarella doesn't care who is on top of the pizza. It is fine in knowing that in the end it is all the ingredients together that make the pizza. What would a pizza be if all it had was the sauce and the mozzarella? It would be a cheese pizza that only the kids would like. It would have no real substance or flavors that make a pizza great. So i for one like olives. I like a pizza that has all the flavors that work together and know that not one ingredient is better than the other.

    ReplyDelete