Friday, April 6, 2012

A New Beginning


Welcome to Wallace's Pub.

My name is Greg Wallace Dolmage and this will be my second attempt at writing a blog. I imagine most of you who are reading this are doing so because you either enjoyed the first one or are "connect"ed to me in someway. Hell! Maybe it's both! Either way, thanks for being here... especially any new comers.

Now, before I just launch into some anecdotal catharsis on life, God, or the joys of a good beer, I thought it would be important to explain to you both why I quit the first blog and why I am starting the second. The first blog was actually something I was asked to do for my old job. This blog became a fantastic vehicle for me to present and develop my thoughts and invite others in on the conversation. This was really an enjoyable process, but sadly it started to feel like a stage and I felt a pressure to perform. So, when my ideas began to run dry, so did my desire to write. The show was over. 

Ultimately, I believe this happened because the blog lacked the vision to endure.

But guess what? ... I had a vision.

Some of you may remember a place called "Wallace's Pub" (a.k.a. my old kitchen). The beautiful thing about this place was that, like a true pub (a.k.a. public house), it provided a space for our community to gather, share ideas, and have some laughs (a.k.a. Good Lord, Greg! Stop saying, "a.k.a."!). I had thought that my most recent move and job change, along with the moves and marriages of several within our community, had brought an end to the era of Wallace's Pub... Oh me of little vision. What I realized was that there still is a way for us to all come together, share ideas and continue to grow as a community no matter where on the map we live.

That way is this blog, and I am naming it "Wallace's Pub" because I don't believe the era is over. The medium has changed, but the goal can be the same.

This blog will not merely be a soapbox for an arrogant young idealist to spout his ideas. It will instead be place for a community to come together and ask similar questions, dwell on similar ideas, and maybe even start to walk down a similar path together, which will hopefully lead to some real "Kingdom of God"-"Acts 2" kind of stuff.

Ambitious? Maybe. But maybe God has a bigger plan for our little community. We just needed a way to Connect.

So pull up a seat, grab a pint, and lets start talkin'! 

11 comments:

  1. I don't drink. Can I still be part of the conversation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't be apart of it because you have too many children now!!!! How will you find the time to respond???

      Delete
  2. Absolutely. All are welcome to this fine establishment. I future blogs I will probably wax eloquent on why metaphor of the "pub" is so important. Plus, what is a good is a conversation without a strong Wesleyan like yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you're writing, Greg! Btw, have you ever heard of "Third Place" before? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place (http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Good-Place-Bookstores/dp/1569246815)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! This book looks good. Thanks for the heads up, Hannah!

      Delete
  4. So glad to see you back Greg! I do miss your kitchen and connecting to everyone... I'm looking forward to reconnecting to my community this way. I have stayed in touch with a few, and have missed many. It seems as though my community has changed a bit, as life happens, but there will always be a special place in my heart to those who taught me what real community was to begin with. This blog- brilliant! I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not an arrogant, young idealist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome. I like it :) I've missed you guys!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Greg! It's a good question. I was at a funeral on Saturday. Given where my head is at, my answer is: Gospel means opportunity for life after death with those we love. That's good, healing, and hopeful news to everyone.

    Jesus said to her (Martha, after losing her brother) “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?”

    She said to Him, “Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world.” John 11:25-27

    I love that the gospel is a story of a God who comes into the world.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete